Exhibition 2/ proposal review

Exhibition 2/ proposal personal review

recently I proposed my second proposal ( due to being very sick I had to virtually present it to my tutor) ... My proposal was very similar to my first initial proposal but here are the few tweaks I added as my work has started to evolve especially from the first initial exhibition I had recently introduced.



In my project, I will be focusing my work on the female and male form (the human body) with the use of combining mediums such as paint and reflective surfaces (I: E - CD's, mirrors, glass, and sugar.) To create the idea of a warped reflection - what we see ourselves as is not what we are. Our warped thinking of ourselves and of our different body types is not what we are. With the theme of Body dysmorphia to base around my work. 


The idea is to conceptualize the bodies and to show that all different shapes and forms are the same. To give the audience the chance to connect to the paintings and to see themselves within these bodies. To show how our minds are warping our bodies to think negatively about ourselves or one another.


I am exploring body dysmorphia to raise awareness of the pressure to conform to body stereotypes through painting diverse nude bodies and how they are connected by a body dysmorphic ideology. Unrealistic views of their own bodies and to show the audience can connect with these bodies that are all different shapes and form. 



As recently explained before In my previous post. T
he way I approach blogging is through transmedia - using different platforms to gain and to further the knowledge of my audiences. The platforms I have been using are Instagram, Twitter, Facebook page, and my own personal Facebook. 

Facebook main: @facebook/sharlaclynes.com

These accounts are all linked within each other to help me be aware of what I am posting when I am posting and what accounts I am posting to. Having them all linked together also helps me to see who is following and who is liking and viewing what.
Using Transmedia also helps correlate with my body arguments that will be discussed further on in this blog.


With my social experiments to correlate with my research I found using the interpretation of what my models perceive themselves as really helped me to create this warped image of bodies. Showing what they have emphasized d and what kind of body type they think they are. Also with their own interpretive drawing they shared with me, they very much emphasized what so-called flaw they have with them-selves arising and making me aware of what issue they have with their bodies so I can create the beauty to show them it is not actually a "FLAW".


I explained in depth to by tutor How each of my body arguments correlates with one another through to the use of trans-media to the rawness of the color palette by using painting as a medium to encourage body dysmorphia awareness. Creating this warped sense of bodies into something beautiful and something for someone who does suffer BDD, that they can relate to these portrayals of bodies I have created.





My Tutor and I have recently discussed that fraud is no longer irrelevant to my work and that Jenny Saville is more of an artist model to base my work on. She creates this movement of the skin and shows this "mapping" and pushes through the undertone colors of the body.



Jenny Saville also creates movement with her imagery, leaving the drawn lines as they are, evolving the image into one moving body - Relating to the movement, fragileness and uncomplete or unfinishedness of my own work.

 

Jones’s work relates to my own work with the use of subject matter and the way she digitally paints. To connect the body with a form of fragmentation and disfigurement that people relate to with their own so-called flaws with their body. Blurring the lines of identity and creating merging with the body, connecting people with their own warped sense of their own bodies.



In relation to my own project one of her works "MyBrokenReality" (Vries, LEIGH DE VRIES, 2008) (Vries, exposure: The broken reality tunnel, 2008).  This film shows how BDD had controlled her life for longer than 25 years. She uses this as an adventure and exploration to change and to demonstrate her healing process and recovery. She uses prosthetics to reveal a tumor that is not real. To show confidence within her reality that the things that we obsess over are not really anything to matter about.




Incorporating both the painting and the illustration work – combining painting and digital media. 

-Easily accessible to post with higher quality and creates a feeling as if it was a moving image.
-
-Focuses on the whole of the body and not just drawing your eyes to the genital areas...


Influencing Rosanna Jone's background work within my own. Creating a more intriguing view to the audiences and less so in your face that it may be classified as too much nude.


I was trying to highlight the significant so-called flaws within the body and to show the sadness of not liking your body by constantly trying to hideaway. Showing the vulnerability of the nude but also showing the beauty and fragileness of the body. Giving that almost sad and uncomfortable feeling that I am sure everyone has had in their lives.



The drawing style I have been working on is really mapping the patterns and the coloring of the skin. Highlighting the beauty of the whole body from any shape and form.



With this piece I wanted to show that everyone is in the same boat. Always trying to hide that thing we call a flaw. Segmenting the bodies to create an almost uncomfortable feeling, but also trying to emphasize that uncomfortable feeling into a feeling of beauty and the idea of well are all the same, just different shapes, sizes, and colors. But it doesn't mean that we are any different from one another.



References...


Lucky last the set of my second/first physical exhibition.



These pieces are back to the back of each other through a walkway.


I feel as though displaying them in front of each other gives off the feeling of wa.lking through somebody. This feeling of uncomfortably, sadness, but most of all the beauty behind the bodies. Having them displayed like this helps make the fragile bodies emerging with each other and swallow the idea of a flaw. To help connect them with the audience as if they are apart of these bodies.




























Comments

Popular Posts