mixed media...

MIXED MEDIA

Mixed media is a term used for describing artworks that are produced with the use of combining different materials and media (TATE, 2020). This started around 1912, with “Cubist Collages” from artists such as Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso. Art is therefore made from combing different things or essentially made of anything (TATE, 2020). Using mixed media such as reflective surfaces say CD’s, Aluminium foil either texture of flat, Glass, Glass bowels and water, etc… To create a warping effect on the bodies I have depicted. -
TATE. (2020). TATE. Retrieved from TATE: https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/m/mixed-media 
In my project, I will be focusing my work on the female and male form (the human body) with the use of combining mediums such as paint and reflective surfaces (I: E - CD's, mirrors, glass, and sugar.) To create the idea of a warped reflection - what we see ourselves as is not what we are. Our warped thinking of ourselves and of our different body types is not what we are. With the theme of Body dysmorphia to base around my work. The idea is to conceptualize the bodies and to show that all different shapes and forms are the same. To give the audience the chance to connect to the paintings and to see themselves within these bodies. To show how our minds are warping our bodies to think negatively about ourselves or one another. 
So back to one of my older post's I went to the local dump to find anything that is warped and reflective that is very similar to the glass in an old bathroom that is either warped or very blurry. The closest I have come to is the old outdoor glass tables.


So I did a big call for this kind of table on Facebook and if anyone was willing to give them up. Luckily I had a few of them show up on my lawn. (note NZ is still in quarantine hence it being thrown on my lawn.) Anyway, I scrubbed them down and got rid of the actual metal legs that held up the table to just have the glass.

 
This is the effect the glass gave off being placed on top of the paintings.

Left: from further away. It gives a very rippled effect on the painting.

Right: Close up, Gives a blurrier effect to the painting.





And a video to show the movement of the glass and the bodies. To create a feeling of movement and flow to the bodies.

IDEA?

To add to this piece I was thinking of experimenting with shattering the glass and attaching some of the shattered pieces on particular areas to the body. The areas that people focus more on and call them a "flaw. For my next work, I was thinking of actually maybe painting on the glass and scratching the figures out to create a reflective surface through the painting. Create a warpedness and an even further exploration of movement to the work. To explore further the idea of fragmentation to the work and emphasize the idea of BDD.

Comments

Popular Posts