Methodology


· Draft of my Methodology – explanation of proposed methodology employed.

In my project, I will be focusing my work on the female and male form (the human body) with the use of combining mediums such as paint and reflective surfaces (I: E - CD's, mirrors, glass, and sugar.) To create the idea of a warped reflection - what we see ourselves as is not what we are. Our warped thinking of ourselves and of our different body types, is not what we are. With the theme of Body dysmorphia to base around my work. The idea is to conceptualize the bodies and to show that all different shapes and forms are the same. To give the audience the chance to connect to the paintings and to see themselves within these bodies. To show how our minds are warping our bodies to think negatively about ourselves or one another.

Transmedia storytelling –  
The use of storytelling applying multiple and different platforms. Providing different entry points to gain more information and accessibility to the story being told. Giving more levels of entry for further participation and collaboration into the world that the story is being involved in (Jenkins, 2007) . Relating this to my own artwork, art always has a story to tell or a question to answer. Using Transmedia storytelling will further gain information and access to what my works are about and bring a further audience to access my work. This also allows me to add different mediums within my paintings such as mixed media of reflective surface and further my experiments. This correlates into my practice-based research, gathering data of viewers and audiences of people that are exposed to my work through different platforms.
Mixed media –
Mixed media is a term used for describing artworks that are produced with the use of combining different materials and media (TATE, 2020). This started around 1912, with “Cubist Collages” from artists such as Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso. Art is therefore made from combing different things or essentially made of anything (TATE, 2020). Using mixed media such as reflective surfaces say CD’s, Aluminium foil either texture of flat, Glass, Glass bowels and water, etc… To create a warping effect on the bodies I have depicted.
Social experiment –
This is an experiment where random people are subject to a group or two. To examine and gain data to compare views on a controlled group (ENCYCLOPEDIA.COM, 2019). In my case, I am using different kinds of social experiments such as a survey to my models on how they view their own bodies. Or in another case getting my models to draw their own perspective of their bodies so I can create my own interpretation of what they think they look like. This is to help further my research into how many people in my local community have issues with their own bodies and how I can help them connect with the paintings. To get them to see the beauty of the painted bodies and compare them to their own. To show that we are all just the same, just different shapes and sizes.



I thought I would just explain the process of my paintings. So I paint straight onto the MDF board purposely for the rough texture, instead of preparing the board beforehand. To help create a raw texture to liven up the paintings - to give it a 3D look in a way - here's a wee time-lapse of me doing it.

Comments

Popular Posts