research

research

Next exhibition

For my next exhibition I am pushing the boundaries of traditional painting and installations  of those paintings. immersing the audience further by making a 3-Dimensional installation where the audience can walk into the middle of the painting. To make it feel as though you are walking into the mental relationship of mine and my friends friendship. To feel the inside's of the organic form/ identity.

In basic terms the outside of each side of the triangle boards are traditional painted portraits of 1;myself 2;Ema and 3;Sam. Then on the inside is a correlation/collage of different drawn imagery, linking in with one another with the repetitive vibe of three. The "Triage effect".

Examples of the correlating/collages of the drawings.






Artist Statement

Artist: Sharla Clynes
Title: Draft of “The Triage – part 2”
Medium: Graphite pencil, Vivid and Oil paint.

This is a mock-up of my final exhibition of work; a continuum of the previous piece “The Triage” – part 1. I am exploring how I can convey a visual idea of a relationship to create a visible bond between portrait and painter?  My research interrogates the notion of the portrait as a visual representation of the relationship between myself as the painter and Ema and Sam as the subjects. This will be action-ed through the attempted painted depiction of the long-term female friendships I have with two other women.

The aims of my research are to develop and to construct a form of friendship or even sisterhood. The idea of that unspoken bond between the person you are familiar to that you are painting. That relationship that can form the idea of friends are family, who you look up to or idealize. To explore and express a surrealist idea of a portrait and what that relationship means to me. Finishing with a depiction of a journey into the sub-conscious mind to explain the visual idea of the creation of this new identity to call family.

The installation of the work is installed as though the audience can walk into the painting. Imagining as if it is a human body. Traditional portraits on the outside creating the casing of the identity, then emerging yourself inside the organic body. As a mental construct of my friendship with my subjects Sam and Ema.

Comments

Popular Posts