BVA 303 RESEARCH kathryn. week 6

BVA 303 RESEARCH kathryn.


First Critique.


Up until this week I was unaware of the racial concept that was brought up by a fellow class mate. This is NOT a racial piece and has nothing to do with the concept of racial accountability.
But now after my first critique I am wanting to address the issue of the racial context that could be applied to my work, this will be applied to my art theory question to help push my idea for my paintings through focusing on the issues of my work to help the growth of the links of the relationship. To also shine a light about the subject of viewership of my work and less of the maker-ship of the work’s.
After our first critique a student suggested I could be depicting a racial context to my work as the models “Sam” is white and “Ema” is a darker skin. This critic defiantly did get under my skin as my work I’m wanting to portray to the audience. Is the relationship between the sister hood and friendship of these two-particular people. Along with my point of view is to not show how the depiction of people of colour, have been depicted how they depict themselves through-out history. Present as the artist but not as the same way as Ema is. Ema is present as the subject, as I am the present maker.

The racial depiction of my work that could be said is something I don’t want to show and want to diminish the idea of that in my work.

The whole idea of my work is that I want to show the relationship between me and the other person. The idea of friends is my family. As a European artist I must be careful of racial negativity in my work.

This was talked about with a discussion with Traci Meek in my art theory class to show how his influence of his artwork had a lot of criticism especially due to the time period of it.



Norman Rockwell is a great example of a European artist depicting that whole 1950s scene of European families. Then when he diverged in the idea of stopping the racial barrier he got severely criticized for that work. Especially of the painting called “The Problem we all live with” the depiction of Ruby Bridges as a black child attending a white person school. This portrayal was a statement to help stop the idea of racial slurs and is considered as a very iconic and infamous image to support civil rights, especially the civil rights movement in the U.S (https://www.nrm.org/2010/10/norman-rockwells)



Comments

Popular Posts