BVA313 art theory week 7

Art Theory, BVA313 week 7.


Significance of three different contemporary art practices in New Zealand - Aotearoa.


This week we are learning about the significance of contemporary art practices in New Zealand - Aotearoa.

Shannon Te Ao - is an artist, writer and curator whose current research interests include performance and video art practices. The majority of Te Ao's recent artistic output has seen him investigating and responding to material drawn from Māori paradigms, testing the implications of alternative creative, social and linguistic models in relation to contemporary video art and other performative practices.

Searching for a non verbal connection:

Megan Dunn talks to the artist about his Walters win, cultural subcontracting, Te Reo and home.
https://www.pantograph-punch.com/post/interview-shannon-te-ao

He has created a performative installation piece to show the "activism" and then explains if performance art is futile in relation to actual political change? Alongside the history of Te Whiti and Tohu, the Parihaka movement and Maori activists today ".

He was asked if his work was more about translation but then replied with that it is more about transportation.

His idea was to communicate text to animals to try and test out the different aspects of the project.

I was questioning what it meant to have that as a model of success, and to have that model of success become canonical.

The idea of him being nominated for the Walter's prize made him doubt himself and have the idea in his mind that he was not going to win at all. He didn't prepare himself and I guess wanted to have the illusion that it was all a surprised and not to get his hopes up if he didn't win.

His art space is an on going project and has everything translated into Te Reo Maori. To create a certain link and translation to his artwork.

The artist quotes in the end of his interview "I do. I feel my own difference being acknowledged all the time. Within an art context, I’m certainly treated differently because of who I am, and I know my work is as well. Sometimes that’s positive, sometimes it’s not.


The use of Te Ao in art, along with the exploration of the use of Te Reo.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=201818328 -“Kim Hill talks to artist, writer and curator Shannon Te Ao, whose current research interests include performance and video art practices. He lectures at Whiti o Rehua School of Art, Massey University. He won the 2016 Walters Prize for his 2013-14 work, Two Shoots That Stretch Far Out, and an exhibition of his work and those of the other finalists (Lisa Reihana, Joyce Campbell, Nathan Pohio), is currently on exhibition at Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tamaki (to 30 October).” http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday/audio/201818328/shannon-te-ao-walters-prize-winner

Racheal Rakena


Innovative digital video artist, Along with being a teacher in a highly respected Māori Visual Arts programme at Te Pūtahi-a-Toi, Massey University Palmerston North. Rakena is of  and Māori (Ngāi Tahu, Ngāpuhidescent. Her works introduce moving images and installation along with holdingShe works in moving image and installation and holds a Master of Fine Arts (Distinction) and started her PhD in 2013.


Pacific flower 2
year: 2008
size: 1200 x1000mmmedia: Digital still mounted on dibond




Lonnie Hutchinson









•Lonnie has a Bachelor of Design from Unitec in 1997, followed by her Masters of Design. She also has a prolific exhibiting career both nationally and internationally, She has also been awarded a number of international residencies and has made work for numerous large scale public commissions. 2015 she was then awarded the Creative New Zealand Pasifika Contemporary Artist Award. A lot of her works also belong in a number of international private and  public collections including the Auckland Art Gallery, Christchurch Art Gallery, Banff, Canada, The Dowse Art Museum, New Zealand High Commission, Washington, Massey University and David Teplitsky Collection, Hong Kong.






http://www.tautai.org/black-bird-lonnie-hutchinson-1997-2013-survey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcaXFWR02Gg 

- talks about her use of Te Reo Maori in her works.


For my own Theory works.



For my theory I am wanting to explore the argument that was made about my work of how it could be perceived as "Racist" due to having a European woman and a woman of culture and color together in my work. Where actually it is about love and friendship and how the relate and create that link of a relationship to make up who I am in my paintings.
His artwork is more about performance based art, with big installations to create a wider feeling.
Wanting to mainly focus my art on the Viewership and not on the maker ship of my work.

This is what I have interpreted in my mind map essay to draft an introduction to my work.

I wanted to go over this as it relates to what I am trying to say for my artwork in not only Research class but in Art Theory too.

Arguments

I must learn and be careful about the pressure of racial outrage if this ever appears with my work. This is more about female friendships, the whole construct of love, friendship and relationship with the people you choose as family.
Along with the criticism that this will backfire on, not to convey the idea of any other portrayals that doesn’t exist within my works. I need to be careful about the racial context that the viewership or audience could think as a concept for my work.
Such as having a white figure and a figure of color, the audience (hope not) may have the idea it has a racial context, which I want to completely abolish the idea of any negative racial context of my work.

First critique
Up until this week I was unaware of the racial concept that was brought up by a fellow class mate. This is NOT a racial piece and has nothing to do with the concept of racial accountability.
But now after my first critique I am wanting to address the issue of the racial context that could be applied to my work, this will be applied to my art theory question to help push my idea for my paintings through focusing on the issues of my work to help the growth of the links of the relationship. To also shine a light about the subject of viewership of my work and less of the maker-ship of the work’s.
After our first critique a student suggested I could be depicting a racial context to my work as the models “Sam” is white and “Ema” is a darker skin. This critic defiantly did get under my skin as my work I’m wanting to portray to the audience. Is the relationship between the sister hood and friendship of these two-particular people. Along with my point of view is to not show how the depiction of people of colour, have been depicted how they depict themselves through-out history. Present as the artist but not as the same way as Ema is. Ema is present as the subject, as I am the present maker.

The racial depiction of my work that could be said is something I don’t want to show and want to diminish the idea of that in my work.

The whole idea of my work is that I want to show the relationship between me and the other person. The idea of friends is my family. As a European artist I must be careful of racial negativity in my work.

This was talked about with a discussion with Traci Meek in my art theory class to show how his influence of his artwork had a lot of criticism especially due to the time period of it.

Norman Rockwell is a great example of a European artist depicting that whole 1950s scene of European families. Then when he diverged in the idea of stopping the racial barrier he got severely criticized for that work. Especially of the painting called “The Problem we all live with” the depiction of Ruby Bridges as a black child attending a white person school. This portrayal was a statement to help stop the idea of racial slurs and is considered as a very iconic and infamous image to support civil rights, especially the civil rights movement in the U.S (https://www.nrm.org/2010/10/norman-rockwells)


Question Developing:

How to conceive the idea of viewership of the relationship between two different people. To portray the idea of perceived surrealism?

How to perceive to an audience the link of a relationship between a subject form and a maker-ship form?


What I need to do for next week...
Relook at dates for coursework tasks Easter

8
2 April
Coursework: Practitioner Research Presentations
9
9 April
Critique One Proposal Presentations
Prepare and give a 10 minute Proposal Presentation



Comments

Popular Posts