Week 9


This week we are learning about Leadership roles with another TED talk along with learning about how to create an artist statement.


  • There was a question asked in the TED talk of "How do we make a leader in the 21st century?"...
  • To create relationship with a diverse "out of the box" network. Great leader's dear to be different, have someone tell you that your idea is stupid or too risky (out of the box). Then you will find a diverse network wanting to follow you. Using the perception of branding and how your idea will be perceived. 
  • She talks about how practices in the centuries prior the 21st century are a whole lot different and leaving those practices behind are needed. "abandoning old practices that you are use to that were helping the company be successful but the world is always changing. She explains the pace of change is fast and different and to stop collapse we need to embrace change.


Be an asset were you can and have some role in anticipating the future of the business were you can...

"Great leaders can be found great if the take risk and chances within their professions and business."

  • Meaning risk and change are linked and you are wanting people in your network that are anticipating change instead of staying in their comfort zone having the potential to fail.

What is an artist statement?

  • This is a short summary of your work 250-300 words with background of what you want to portray/thesis of your work. Artist statements also have Artist models and any other influences.
  • An artist statement is a general introduction to your work and what it is about along with what the body of work and the general idea of the project and how it fits into the exhibition. Along with what your intent for the audience to have.
  • Statements are NOT to right about yourself and your role in your profession. No cliches, expressions, jargon, long explanations, materials and techniques you have employed, poems, prosy writing, anecdotes on something important in your life, no childhood or family unless relevant, no bragging nor press release.
  • Artist statements  are a good way to clarify your ideas and intent for your work. Also for a gallery dealer, curator, docent or a public description for a better understanding to your work. Artist statements are also good for introducing your work to a public forum and public buyers. Buyers often want to be interested in your work when purchasing it.
  • Needs contact details in the end of artist statement.

My artist statement...

Sharla Clynes
Visual arts.
Year 2


“My Inner Persona”
Oil paint, water color, wood glue, acrylics, Indian ink, varnish on Calico.
$100


My passion in life that motivates me is art. Along with how I can create many different things related to art to show to an audience. I have been making art since a very early age. From doodling in my books and getting told of by my math’s teacher, to studying about art and its history at S.I.T. What creates my paintings are the influences of the early art movements from Renaissance (1400’s) to Surrealism (1917). Along with all the other movements in-between. This is what drives my work to make new and evolved contemporary pieces, while still using the old traditional ways. Along with the influences of theorist Andre Breton who created the Manifesto of Surrealism (1924-1929). This has opened my eyes even further in the idea of surrealism to help me think and create new and improved ideas for my own artworks. Another major influence would be various artist that they call the “greats” of the art world. Raphael who created beautiful and magical renaissance paintings such as Madonna and child (1500s). As well as Leonardo Da Vinci who from I have seen… Has in a way started a surrealist view to art works way before surrealism was a thing. Such as the “Mona Lisa”, he put himself into her facial features and from certain angles she is known to look like a man. These artist/theorist and many more help me create and remake there style of art into a contemporary art form. The method to create my artworks are using oil paints, water color, calico and varnish. Varnish helps protect the paintings to create a either matte or shiny look in the end. I hope with this piece you will find the many different things to look at, maybe find some of my hidden messages or symbolist expressions. This piece is to look from all sides, there is no right way or wrong way to look at this painting. It is about myself as a young artist and is as also an insider of what goes on in my head. Using mixed mediums and different textures to create a conventional and contemporary art form. 

This piece is also my apart of my yearlong theory work. This was created to help me answer and understand my question of “How can I convey a surrealist narrative into a contemporary art form”. Along with helping me understand my own “Subconscious mind” and what Surrealism is actually all about.



Email: ****@gmail.com









Comments

Popular Posts