Outline and Layout of the end of year film presentation

 Outline and Layout of the end of year film presentation.

For my end of the year, film to go with my works I am wanting to have a Correlation of my time-lapses throughout the year shown in order and finally finishing with an Interview of myself answering a few questions about my works.

The Time-lapses will show the journey and process of my works to show the development, experiments, and what went into creating and evolving these paintings. Then it will lead to an Interview of myself giving a series of questions about my works. (Unfortunately, I wanted to add a series of interviews with my models and myself to see how they see the works but time was not on my side due to ILT Art Awards.)

Introduction:

Hi, I am Sharla Clynes an Invercargill based independent visual artist studying my postgraduate in visual arts. I am the artist of what you see before you, A body of work called "Warped Bodies"

The process:

the process with my works incorporated a mixture of detailed body formations and fingerpainting ( creating contrast with the skin tones ) giving an illusion to merge the bodies in and out. my process also incorporated a series of time-lapses and recordings to track my progress and to show the process and evolution of the works. To give my audience a visual representation of the journey through creating the works and the experiments.

Proposed Questioning for my interview:

Why the warped bodies?

"I wanted to create the illusion of the warped thinking of people living with BDD or have self-body issues. To show different body types merging into one another, to connect with the audience looking. To show that whatever body type we are, we are all the same beauty and all."

What made you want to paint nudity?

"The idea of working with raw bodies gave a sense of fragileness and vulnerability. The idea behind my work is BDD - Body Dysmorphia disorder. Which is a mental health disorder where one obsesses frequently over a minor flaw on their bodies and essentially "freak out" and obsess over that so-called flaw for the rest of their lives. Thus leading back to using nudity in my works. I ultimately want to create and show or raise awareness to the audience that all body shapes flaws and all are beautiful. I want to show how our minds warp our own perspective about our sense of self."

What was your process to make these works? and how did you involve the models?

"My process to create these pieces was to create a casting call for models either female or male or transgender to be photographed by myself and then to use the photographs as my body reference. This was to show all kinds of body types and different genders. I was fortunate to have a handful of models prior to Covid-19 quarantine and 1-2 after the quarantine. As being in quarantine interfered with using my models as a reference I then had to figure out other ways to gain models. Therefore I asked my models to create a drawing of themselves naked to show their perspective of what they thought they looked like, and for me to interpret their perspective and turn it into my perspective of their perspective (if any of that makes any sense). To show there a warped sense of thinking about their own bodies and to show the beauty of their so-called Flaws".

was it your intent to merge the bodies into the background and with one another?

" I wanted to create a spread of bodies merging out from the wall, in a way making the works interactive and bold. Flowing in and out through a journey and process of works. creating a layer, almost a kind of merging bodies emerging from the wall".

What is the relation between the bodies and the glass?

"The glass I have used was thankfully donated to me. The glass was either concaved/concurred or smaller and larger oval and circular shapes. using the glass helped me create the warped idea and either seeing through the glass or seeing your reflection, the reflection is forever changing, having a warped sense to the work. Also using the glass, It has helped me with all kinds of experiments such as painted calico fabric underneath all scrunched up to create a different body shape. Or looking through the glass with water and the works to create a flowing warped body. Alos lastly painting onto the glass and scratching out the body part outlines to create a sense of my older digital works and to integrate that within a traditional painting sense." 

How did you feel going through the journey of your own works?

"Going through and starting to paint these pieces I felt as if I was also putting my own body to show. I felt connected with the body parts, one after the other liberating me from my own misconceptions about my body. Helping me show how my models were feeling about this project, releasing our misconceptions about our bodies, shapes, skin tone, gender, and flaws."


Finally, I would like to thank and acknowledge my models for participating in this project, my tutors for directing me with my works, and finally Kiarne Heydenrych for helping me interpret my work in a film.

If you missed out on some of the time-lapses within this video please scan the Q R codes that will lead you to further links about my art and the work gone into my series "Warped Bodies". 
Also, don't forget to like my socials @sharla_clynes/instagram.com or @sharla-clynes artist/facebook.com






Comments

Popular Posts