art theory / research

art theory/research

This blog talks about a combination of both Art theory and research...

So for my next exhibition, I have decided to really focus on the installation part of my work, and how it will be shown to viewers.

The installation of the cast aluminum "Couples" – Louise Bourgeois (2003) – is the depiction of the melding of eternity, always holding each other to the end (Art, 2003-2017). The life of Bourgeois was harsh, and her early childhood was full of abandonment and disclosure. This is one of Bourgeois "couple sculpture's" which is the expression of her potential love loss and anxiety. A lot of her works have the expression of movement with her rotating figures and express the idea of body, form, and identity.


“I need to make things. The physical interaction with the medium has a curative effect. I need the physical acting out. I need to have these objects exist in relation to my body.” -Louise Bourgeois. (TATE, n.d.) (Foundation, n.d.) – This is a key quote to use in my own research as it is a very physical molding of two people. With my own work, I am the reaction to my own body as Bourgeois is doing for her works. Though I am not fully focusing on the sculptural aspect but more of the installation aspect that can make my own works sculptural in its own way. With the merging of the bodies and the feeling of movement and rotation of "The Triage". I can really relate to the idea of a "Physical" effect to create my own paintings carnal. 

I thought I would put this in here from my dissertation due to the installation side of things. The next exhibition will showcase my work to still have the triangle form but still be able to walk into the painting. for example below are some set-up images of my next exhibition.


It's centered in the middle of the floor plan and will be spotlighted to show the finer details of the works.


This is a correlation and Collage of different drawings as a "Mock-up" or draft of my work for the Final exhibition.


The contrasting black gives its composition and a feel for what the actual paintings will look like against a black background.


ARTIST STATEMENT

Heres a brief artist statement to explain what this work is about in the next exhibition...

Artist: Sharla Clynes
Title: Draft of “The Triage – part 2”
Program of Study: Bachelor of Visual Arts
Medium: Graphite pencil, Vivid and Oil paint.

This is a mock-up of my final exhibition of work; a continuum of the previous piece “The Triage” – part 1. I am exploring, How I can convey a visual idea of a relationship to create a visible bond between portrait and painter? My research interrogates the notion of the portrait as a visual representation of the relationship between myself as the painter and Ema and Sam as the subjects. This will be actioned through the attempted painted depiction of the long-term female friendships I have with two other women.

My research aims to develop and to construct a form of friendship or even sisterhood. The idea of that unspoken bond between the person you are familiar to that you are painting. That relationship that can form the idea of friends are family, who you look up to or idealize. To explore and express a surrealist idea of a portrait and what that relationship means to me. Finishing with a depiction of a journey into the subconscious mind to explain the visual idea of the creation of this new identity to call family.

The installation of the work is installed as though the audience can walk into the painting. Imagining as if it is a human body. Traditional portraits on the outside creating the casing of the identity, then emerging yourself inside the organic body. As a mental construct of my friendship with my subjects Sam and Ema.


Comments

Popular Posts